Senior Director of Advancement - West Coast
Who We Are:
Moishe (pronounced moy-shuh) House is what being Jewish in your 20s is all about. Launched in 2006 when four friends began hosting Shabbat dinners in their home, Moishe House provides a space for over 70,000 young adults around the world to create meaningful, welcoming Jewish communities for themselves and their peers each year. To date, there are more than 150 communities in over 40 countries, and we’re still growing!
Moishe House seeks a West Coast Director of Advancement, with responsibility for the growth and management of a regionally-based donor portfolio of ~ $1.5M annually, consisting of existing individual and institutional supporters, with a focus on broadening the overall local donor base. This position works with Moishe House’s Board of Directors and senior staff to build upon the success of our fundraising efforts, while leading the development and execution of a unique strategy to effectively identify, cultivate, and steward individual donors (with a focus on $2,500+).
All voices are needed at Moishe House (please see our identity statements for more detail). Every new member of the Moishe House team is an opportunity for us to introduce fresh perspectives, talent, and skills into our workforce and our communities. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds, faiths, and life experiences to join our team located in the United States, South America, Europe, and the former Soviet Union. Our vision, in part, is for a fair and equitable workplace, where diversity is celebrated and can truly flourish.
Who You Are and What You’ll Do:
- You believe in our mission and bring creativity, innovation, and hard work to our team.
- You have a passion for serving others, place high value in being part of a strong team, and want to be part of a dynamic, inspirational organization.
- You excel in building and nurturing relationships, leading presentations, telling stories through 1:1 conversations and grant-writing, and tracking data with great attention to detail.
- You are excited about tackling big challenges and new projects.
- You enjoy and are motived by regional travel, and look forward to engaging with donors and prospective donors in person 1-2 times each month.
- You’ll engage meaningfully with Moishe House donors throughout the western United States, resulting in the successful solicitation and renewal of gifts from major donors to support the global and local efforts of Moishe House.
- You’ll identify and cultivate new donor prospects through meetings, networking, and relationship building. This position works independently and alongside key Moishe House leaders, including executive leadership and Moishe House’s Board of Directors, to develop new funding opportunities.
- You’ll facilitate meaningful and consistent touch points with donors and potential donors that instill a trust that contributions to Moishe House are an investment in the success of Moishe House and the excitement connected with the residents and their work.
- You’ll increase the visibility and awareness of Moishe House in local communities by leveraging our local presence within the communities, identifying and pursuing opportunities to forge relationships with existing and new donors and community members.
- You’re entrepreneurial, self-motivated, and thrive when working independently and with a team.
- You have a minimum of 5 years full-time professional experience, with minimum of 3 years full-time successful fundraising/donor relations experience.
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in Business, Nonprofit Management, Communications, Leadership, or other related field, or additional four years of full-time relevant experience.
- You bring extensive knowledge of and experience with donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in the area of major gifts from individuals and family foundations.
- You have meaningful involvement in your local community through communal organizations and in leadership roles.
- You’re bringing proven intermediate skills with Microsoft Office and other office management tools. Experience with Salesforce or another donor database strongly preferred.
- You have a demonstrated strong work ethic, ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects, and attention to follow-through, and have a strong passion for Jewish community building and the mission of Moishe House.
- Your public speaking, presentation and written communication skills are independently strong.
- You embrace and effectively demonstrate the Moishe Mindset: Be the Difference, Connect & Listen, Invest Wisely, Embrace the Unknown, Own It!, Value People, and Work Well, Live Well, and Have Fun!
- You have eligibility to work in the United States without employer sponsorship.
- You are able and excited to travel as needed, within your region.
The Fine Print:
This is a full-time position, requires weekday hours, with occasional weekend and evening hours to complete job requirements. This position reports to the Vice President, Advancement.
This position is based out of Los Angeles, CA. Our team works a hybrid schedule at our Hub Offices, where employees can choose to work remotely 2 days per week and collaborate in-person with coworkers the rest of the week.
Moishe House requires "full vaccination" for all staff to travel, work in offices, and participate in any Moishe House group gatherings. We use the CDC's definition of "full vaccination" as the standard, with variations based on country as needed.
How Moishe House Takes Care of You:
- Healthcare: Health, vision, dental, and mental health benefits ($0 employee contribution option available)
- Time off: 15 days paid time off (PTO) (used as needed for personal, vacation, and sick days) per year that increases with continued employment (additional benefits for former Hillel and BBYO employees through the Talent Alliance) PLUS office closures and up to 7 floating holidays for Jewish and US holidays
- 401(k): up to 3% matching after one year of employment
- Flexible Spending Account options
- Quarterly paid day of service to give back to your community
- Highly qualified, creative, and go-getter teammates and a dedicated supervisor
- Company discounts on flights, hotels, sporting events, concerts amusement parks, gyms, and more through Plum Benefits
- Hybrid structure with 3 days in-office and 2 work-from-home, with schedule options to accommodate your work and lifestyle
How Moishe House Pays You:
Moishe House’s starting salary ranges are based on education, experience, location, and skillset required for each role.
- The starting salary range for this full-time exempt position is:
- Los Angeles or Encinitas: $95,000 - $100,000
- San Francisco / Bay Area: $100,000 - $105,000
- If your salary expectations are different and/or you have more experience than what is required, let's talk!
- Annual merit-based salary increases
How Moishe House Invests in You:
- Schedule options to accommodate your work and lifestyle
- $750 USD annual professional development fund
- Jewish Learning Collaborative (JLC): one-on-one Jewish learning with an educator of your choice
- Local professional learning opportunities
- Opportunities for advancement through career path planning
- Opportunities to attend Moishe House Learning Retreats and Conferences
- Paid work travel with perks including travel allowance, fitness classes, and accommodations
Moishe House is a dynamic organization that recognizes and supports individuals from a broad range of experiences and backgrounds. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation.
Possible Steps in Our Hiring Process:
Step 1: Apply with your resume, and cover letter, and you'll hear back from us!
Step 2: Video interview using a web-based platform
Step 3: Skills assessment, and interview(s) with the hiring manager(s)
Step 4: We'll check your references to hear about your past experience
Step 5: Get an offer letter, sign it, start your Moishe House journey!